Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dasvidanya

Last night, I watched "Dasvidaniya" with my brother. Though this movie released quite sometime back, it was only yesterday that I managed to watch it. I liked the movie a lot as it told a simple story in a very beautiful manner ...It is the story of a simple guy (Vinay Pathak) who leads a very boring, mundane life. He seems to have no wishes and no aspirations of his own. Others take advantage of him. However, one day he is diagnosed of stomach cancer and comes to know that he just has a few more months to live. On learning this, he decides to actually live his life and makes a list of ten things he wishes to do before he dies and succeeds in accomplishing them all!

The movie really got me thinking: When we are small, we always have big dreams about the things we wish to do when we grow-up. However, when we actually grow up, we become so engrossed in our day-to-day lives, with its drudgery, that we actually forget about our list of "Things To Do". Why is it that only when we are convinced that death is imminent, do we actually want to live? We all know that death is an inevitable part of life, but why do we need to be reminded of that in order to make life a worth-while experience?

Here is my list of the Top 10 Things I Wish To Do Before I Die:
  1. Travel the world.
  2. Teach - I feel the true purpose of everyone's life is to touch the lives of others in a way that could never have been achieved before, and teaching/educating children is my way of achieving my purpose of life!
  3. I have always wanted to do something about social and world issues. I wish I can fulfill this desire someday.
  4. Fall in love...just once with the right person!
  5. Be happily married!
  6. Live in a place far away from the hustle and bustle of city-life - preferably, by the sea. But I do wish to have access to all the modern amenities!
  7. Be a successful psychologist.
  8. Learn to cook.
  9. Get rid of my acrophobia.
  10. Take up writing professionally.
Well, I hope to achieve them all someday...what is your list of the ten things you want to do before you die? Do make one - it helps you from forgetting your purpose in life!

19 comments:

rimz said...

i hve watched dasvidaniyan some times back, almst aftr wen it was released. I predicted it wud b another bogus muvie.. but its subtleness touched heart deeply.ya , evrybody shud hve deir own aims b4 the ultimate 'alvida'.
loved ur piece... more as some of ur wishes co-incide with mine, especially no.1.
Wish u all d best for ur life .....:)
tke care...:)

Pramoda Meduri said...

hi very well said ..

Sometimes, our busy life can make us forget the very essence of it..and its one's wisdom that can keep up awake throughout.

for my list:

I wanna keep an educational trust, wanna publish my novels, and many more...:)

Thanks for this post ..:)

SNAPSHOT ENTERTAINMENTS said...

i just wana add on to it.. always have the determination of a mirror that never losses its ability to reflect even when broken into thousand pieces

Yellow Tulip said...

hmmm nice post dear:)..all the best

Sapphire said...

@rimz
Thanks :) Yeah - when it released I was not too keen on watching it, happened to watch it yesterday and really loved it :)

@Pramoda
All the best and hope you are able to do the things you want to do :) I do hope to read your novels someday :) Am sure you shall personally autograph and send it to me :)

@Allan
Hey! Not seen you around :) and I liked what you said - that mirror thingie :)

@Yello Tulip
Thanks :)

JOY"D"JODY said...

SAPPHIRE, WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY. JUST REMEMBER THAT LIFE IS SHORT AND WE NEVER KNOW, SO BEGIN TODAY, MY FRIEND. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU HAVE A GREAT HEAD START, FOR YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT WRITER, AND YOU HAVE TAUGHT ME MUCH. THANK YOU FOR THAT! THANK YOU ALSO FOR FOLLOWING MY BLOG, IT IS ALWAYS NICE TO KNOW WHEN SOMEONE IS LISTENING. I ALSO WANTED TO TELL YOU HOW GREAT IT IS TO SEE SOMEONE OF YOUR AGE TO HAVE SUCH GREAT ASSPIRATIONS, AND GOALS. YOU GO FOR IT, GIRL!
LOVE
JODYJOY

Sapphire said...

@Joy"D"Jody
Thanks so much for your kind words...It is a pleasure visiting your blog and I know - it feels nice when people appreciate your writings :) :) Do Keep Visiting! Wish You All The Best In Life!

Lee Spangler said...

Similar movie in Americaw/ Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, The Bucket List. I appreciate your thoughtful list. Even in the fulfillment of each wish there is a mixture of joy and disappointment, reflecting life's bittersweet quality.

Sapphire said...

@Lee
Aah! What you said is so true - every experience has a bit of joy and a bit of sorrow.......I will definitely check out this movie "The Bucket List" :)

Ashif said...

Life passes most people while we are here sitting in one corner while we are making grand plans for ourselves... You figured that out Now I know why you were happy in class today... well life will not always so simple will it... it will have its fair share of moments.... complicated... Read your articles you should post more often... Take Care Happy b'day in advance...Ashif

Pramoda Meduri said...

HI Sapphire,

Plz collect ur award frm my blog ..:)

Thanks

Sapphire said...

@Ashif
Thank You :) And I thought I was happy all the time :) :)

@Pramoda
Hey! Thanks so much :) :)

- Sugar Cube - said...

I have heard so much about the movie.Must watch it asap!

As for your list..its simple & cool :)
First 5 are in my list too :P

Ellen said...

Hi Sapphire,

Dropped by to say Hi! :-) You have a nice blog...pretty header up there. Gosh, I still owe you a tag. So sorry but life got me so busy with things in the home and with the family. My second daughter is going through wedding preparations. Gee, I hope you still want me to do it. Let me know? :-)

Take care. God bless you and your family.

Sapphire said...

@SugarCube
Ha!Ha! Same pinch :)
Do watch the movie - it's nice

@Ellen
Of course - do finish it whenever you get time :) Wishing Your Daughter All The Best For The Wonderful New Chapter In Her Book Of Life....
Live Life To The Fullest!!

Creativity said...

Hey Dear,

This Post Truly Made Me Realise My Wishes/Dreams Tooooo:) Thanks A Zillion For Sharing This Dear :) :)

Sapphire said...

@Creativity
That is so sweet of you to say that :) Thanks :)

Jack said...

Sapphire,

First visit to your space. Read all available posts. You write well and what comes to your mind naturally. No examination fears, bravo. Bunking, oh, you like to break rules. One is as old as one feels. You have to take on responsibilities sometime or the other. One should maintain individuality but not by being egoistic. Adapt to others but keeping your self respect intact. Of the list of things you would like to do, I really admire Teaching, Social work and Happily married. Happiness in marriage is in the hands of individual. You may like to read what I had written on that.

Take care

Sapphire said...

@Jack
Thank you so much for visiting my space and going through all my posts :) :) I will definitely check out all that you have written :)

Post a Comment